for 8 Religieuses
Choux puff pastry:
• Bring the milk, butter, salt and sugar to the boil in a saucepan.
• Take the pan off the heat, incorporate the flour and let it dry out for 5 minutes on a low heat.
• Put the mixture into a mixing bowl and incorporate the eggs one by one.
• Then make 8 large choux buns and 8 small choux buns.
• Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 180°C.
For the crème pâtissière:
• Boil the milk.
• In a mixing bowl, whisk the yolks with the sugar then incorporate the flour.
• Pour a tiny amount of the boiled milk onto this mixture to temper it.
• Pour everything into the pan with the milk. Boil again for 2 minutes.
• Let the crème pat cool by covering it in clingfilm that is in contact with the crème pat’s entire surface area to avoid skin formation.
For the buttercream:
• Cream the softened butter and the icing sugar together.
• Fill all the choux buns with the crème pâtissière.
• Ice the choux buns by dipping them in the fondant icing.
• Add the buttercream ruff on top of the «nun»’s body (the larger choux bun).
• Finish off the religieuse by placing the head on top (the smaller choux bun).